Minnesota friends and AU members: find your caucus. Attend.
The major party caucuses are tomorrow, Tuesday Feb 4th, and there are fewer better ways to participate in your democratic form of government than attending… other than actually, you know, *voting*. It’s where the agenda for the parties is set at the local level.
To provide further incentive, we have received 3 emails today from right-wing fundamentalist groups urging their members to attend in order to push their major agenda items for this year, and all of them call for passing resolutions to reduce church and state separation, including:
- Gutting the Safe Schools bill by allowing bullying if the bully is “expressing a sincerely-held religious belief”
- Pushing through laws that allow people to deny services to same-sex couples (or anyone else) based on religious objections to their lifestyles
- Pushing laws that make abortions harder or impossible to get in MN, regardless of the impact on women’s health, the viability of the fetus or exceptions for abuse and rape, thanks to religious definitions
Does that sound like an agenda you want to see promoted, or given to your local politicians as the supposed will of the people they represent? Then please attend your local caucus, and make sure the agendas YOU want to see, those that support separation of Church and State, are the ones that are represented.
Instead of the above, let’s have conversations and resolutions about:
– The minimum wage
– Closing racial and economic gaps
– Reforming the criminal justice system to improve equal treatment
– Single payer healthcare
– Making sure the right to vote is maintained (no voter ID, and keep same-day registration)
– Improving access to life-long education
Find your local caucus at this link.
See you there.